Using cuttings from magazines in my art journalling is not something I’ve really tried out before now, but this page has shown how much it can work. I cut out the woman’s face from a shampoo advert, and then scanned through some magazine pages, looking for words which stood out to me, either because I believe in them, or because they often occupy my thoughts. Once I had found a decent amount I moved on to creating the background.
This was a very slapdash approach. I used some DecoArt paint mists in yellow, red, cyan and magenta, and then used a wet brush to roughly spread them. I wasn’t trying to be too neat, or to cover all the white of the page; the messier, the better. Next I added some illustration to the woman’s face using just black biro and some sharpies. I stuck this down, and then set about arranging the words.
I wanted the words to be streaming from the top of her head, and when I had achieved a layout which I was happy with, I stuck them down, and drew some black lines flowing between the phrases. Finally I roughly sketched in some flowers around the edge.